Who are your favourite authors?
- Reading is one of the greatest pleasures in life. It can transport you to another world - your own imagination being more powerful than any images CGI can conjure up.
- People are endlessly fascinating. (If you want some great examples, watch a few episodes of 'Come Dine With Me') The best books feature great characters. I'm thinking of Lionel Shriver's stand-out novel 'We Need to Talk about Kevin,' (whew, what a story!) and novels like 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini (you'd need to have a heart of stone not to be moved by this); 'The Night Watch' by Sarah Waters (such an excellent writer); 'Tulip Fever' by Deborah Moggach (wonderful characters and a hilarious outcome) - oh, lots more I could mention.
- And by the way, I've learned more about Plantagenet and Tudor history from Philippa Gregory's books than I ever did at school.
- I've tried to fill my own novels with interesting characters who have fascinating psychological backgrounds - like Cornelius in 'Ugly Tuckling' who is self-conscious about being overweight, or Francis and Paul, the gay couple in 'FirstBorn' who are the first to have a child of their own.
- This is a link to my Amazon Author Page. Why not take a look?
photo - Maria Dickinson